Thursday, October 30, 2008



 Today, after preschool, another mom accidentally took my son's witch project from his cubby.  Tonight, at a brownie meeting, she returned it to me.  However, one of the witch's legs fell off.  My son has not gotten the hang of the glue stick yet, and I suspect it was a bit under-glued.  The other mom hands it to me, and apologizes for the missing leg.  "Oh, no worries" I tell her.  "It's fine!" 

 Then my son sees his one-legged witch.  "Where's the other one leg?" He wants to know.  "Well," I explain, "it fell off, but that's okay.  Accidents happen."  

The other mom apologizes again.  "Really, its okay," I tell her.  At which point my sons yells, "IT'S NOT OKAY!  I WANT THE OTHER ONE LEG!!!!" 

So now both the other mom and I are embarrassed.  Now, the perfect mom thing would have been to gently pull him aside and explain that he is entitled to his feelings, but it was an accident and we can fix it later when we get home.  And for me to not be embarrassed.  What did I actually do?  "Hey, you want a lolly pop?" That worked out pretty good too.

5 comments:

Patty said...

Sometimes the lollipop works the best.

Dragons52 said...

Now this is 'mom' experience showing!!

Wanda said...

Oh dear, my guilt trip... I used lollipops and cookies for years.

Actually, I have four well adjusted adult children...

Take Heart... you're doing it right!!

LOL:Wanda

Rottlady of the Ozarks said...

I was steered to your blog by Old Lady Lincoln. This story is just too cute.

Jenn K said...

I'm going to have to remember to keep the lollipop in my arsenal of parental distractions!