Thursday, October 9, 2008




The other day my oldest (9) year old son told me that he thought he should start carrying a wallet to school now, because, really he is growing up now, and he's responsible, and he should be prepared for whatever comes along, so he should have a wallet with some of his own money it, just in case. "You know," he told me, "like dad and grandad.  Like men do."  So I agreed that this was a good idea.  I asked him if he needed any help and he assured me that he could take care of it on his own.  So this afternoon I checked in his  backpack, to see if he had indeed put the wallet in there, and how much money he was in danger of losing.  And this is what I found.  My grown-up almost a man, responsible boy's wallet.  In case you can't see it- it's a furry wallet with a moose head on it that his cousins from Norway gave him, with two dollars inside. It makes my heart ache with the sweetness of it- him with one foot on each side of the division between little boy and maturity.


4 comments:

Wanda said...

Oh my goodness, if this isn't the sweetest post I've read today...

My grandson is this age, and that is so true of his feeling right now...

Thanks for stopping by. I will be back to read some of your previous posts.

Wanda from Brushstrokes !!

Jack and Joann said...

Cindy, how funny!
Great kid!

Dragons52 said...

Doesn't that just melt you inside!! How sweet is that! Make sure you take pictures and save this blog for him so when he's 17 you can show him what his wallet looked like!! And maybe offer to show his girlfriend too!

Patty said...

How sweet. Yes it has to be hard, not yet a young man, but still feels like he's getting there. Wait until he no longer wants to play with his younger brothers.