Tuesday, October 14, 2008


There were many things about being a mom I never figured on.  Things that have surprised me over the last 9 years.  (I am sure there will be more to come.)  One of those things is that nothing is mine.  Not really mine.  Everything in this house -  EVERYTHING -  is fair game.  Why my children would want to play with salad tongs, when there is a room full of toys, I don't know.  But there you have it.  Eyebrow brushes are particularly fascinating.  I have bought about 6 of those guys, and I still don't have one to call my own.  They like to clomp around in my shoes - and then lose one.  Yellow dishwashing gloves are highly coveted. Those little things they put on your baseboards- to keep the door handles from slamming into the drywall?  All removed, in my house.  

So tonight I was helping my oldest daughter (9) with her homework.  Sniff, sniff. "Regan," I ask her, "What is that familiar smell I smell right now?"  
"I don't know.  Could be my lotion."  
"Your lotion?  What lotion is that?"  
"Well, it could be your lotion." 
"Where did you get it from?"  
"Oh...in your room.  In your drawer."  
"You mean the little white jar, with the gold lid?" 

The jar of $65 an ounce skin plumping cream. The jar from the Red Door Salon, that was my present to myself on my birthday.  Guaranteed to fatten out your wrinkles and perfect your skin. (Sort of) 

"Yep.  I was all itchy when I got out of the tub so I put it all over myself.  But it isn't that great.  I didn't even have enough to do all of me plus my feet."

And you know, looking closely at her, she didn't look a day over 7 and a half.

Here she is, looking very young indeed- about a week old. 

5 comments:

Jack and Joann said...

Cindy, with three sets of twins you will never lack for things to post on your blog. This story was both funny and sad. Cute in pink!

$65 for a jar of cream. Holy Moses!
I feel guilty when I go to CVS and buy a jar of Ponds cold cream.

Wanda said...

Oh Cindy, how I read this over and over.... I did not have 3 sets of twins... only 4 individual children, but they all must love those special personal things, like our blush brushes, or in my case a bottle of expensive perfume...my did my carpet smell wonderful for weeks...

Love your stories... will be back for more.

Wanda

Dragons52 said...

I absolutely love reding about your kids and these kinds of stories. It brings back such wonderful memories of the things that make it all worth while...though maybe not a that time. I remember my step son trying out my eye shadows and face powder and mixing it with my favorite perfume to see what would happen....looked like an explosion his the bathroom and all he could say was a ghost made him do it!! How do you keep a straight face when you want to scream and laugh at the same time!! Check out my site today for more of this kind of thing from kids!

Patty said...

Oh my, sounds like you need to get yourself a small storage chest with a pad lock and wear the key around your neck. You would always know where your items are at. LOL

Yes, my kids always liked the cupboard with the pots, pans and lids better than their toys.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like the little ones are liking the things their mommy does. This is a priceless story.