Monday, January 26, 2009

Regret

I was in the grocery store today, and the line was held up for a minute because the checker had to go get another checker who could speak Spanish.  I wasn't really paying attention to what was going on because I was trying to unload my stuff quickly and get home before the school bus.  When I finally did start noticing what was going on I realized the people- presumably a mom and daughter in front of me- were being told that the store could not accept their WIC check.  The check was issued from NY, and the store can only take checks from VA.  I glanced at the total on their order, it was only 24 dollars.  The woman told the checker she was not able to pay for the groceries without the WIC check, and asked her to put the things back.  Milk, orange juice, cheese and some dry beans.  I was about to tell the cashier to just add it to my stuff, but I hesitated. Was it too weird?  Would the woman be offended?  Was it stupid?  And in that moment of debate, the cashier cleared the items, and the people left.  They just walked out with no milk, and no food.  I really wish I had spoken up.  

2 comments:

Dragons52 said...

Yeah I had the same thought...sometimes I wish the mind would work faster and I would just speak up sooner! But your heart was in the right place...now just to speed the reaction time up.

Patty said...

Don't feel to bad about the incident. First off, perhaps the shoppers should have checked first to make sure they would accept the WIC check. Plus with your own crew to feed, you had to think of them first. I know it's always nice to help out others, but there is also a limit to how much help one can give. Don't brow beat yourself. Perhaps another time you will be able to help someone.