Monday, January 19, 2009

All of my kids have gone to the same wonderful preschool.  Every year this school does a Christmas play, that all of my kids have been a part of.  Except Collin.  Collin decided that there was no way he was going to get on that stage, in front of those people.  Not for fruit snacks.  Not for promises of a Scooby Doo marathon.  He hid behind some pews (the play was held in a  local church to accommodate all families).  About half way through the play, I sent my older daughter over to him.  The teachers had cautioned all of the parents to keep their distance from the kids, because they tend to be more successful without parents.  Plus, my daughter is wonderful with Collin and he has a special bond with her.  She came back after a moment and told me, "he wants you".  Well, I fell for it.  I thought that maybe he just wanted a quick reassurance and then he'd hop right on stage and do his part.  Foolish, foolish soccer mom.  I get over there, and he tells me it is time to go home, and refuses to participate.   The teachers, seeing this commotion on the sidelines, encourage me to encourage Collin.  Well.  Long story short, but guess who ends up doing the "Reindeer Pokey"?  Judging by the MANY comments from friends and neighbors, my performance was a solid 10.  

After this, Collin darts over to another pew and almost knocks over a large stand of advent candles.  Thanks to Dave C. for catching them before they crashed to the floor.  At this point, my other son looks over, and realizes that I am nearby and decides that he's more scared than he thought he was, and hurtles across the stage and jumps off into my arms, crying hysterically and disrupting the whole play.  It was a night to remember.  I wish I could forget!

Come on, Collin!  Mommy will buy you a pony!  Two ponies!  And a dinosaur!  (See the giant candle holder? He knocked it down while trying to get UNDER that pew.)
Declan as an elf, before stage fright set in.

Come on Collin!  You put your right hoof in, you put your right hoof out...

2 comments:

Dragons52 said...

Now that's a show I would have loved to have seen!!!

Patty said...

Now that must have been a sight for sore eyes. Did anyone have a video camera with them? Would love to see a video of the whole thing, including your Reindeer Pokey. LOL

Well one thing for sure, it's never a dull moment at your house. Wait till they start dating. LOL