Thursday, June 25, 2009

Say hello to my little friend!


During the first grade picnic, my daughter Lauren's teacher gave me a potted plant, to thank me for coming in to class and doing some copies and filing for her throughout the year.

This morning, I got up and hurried downstairs to start making breakfast. I decided this summer, that one day a week we were going to have "try something new day." Because I am SO sick of making the same things over and over again. This morning we were having a "Wild West Fritata". I knew it was going to take me a while to make it, and the kids were already hungry. So I am putting ingredients on the counter and trying to figure out where in the heck I put the sweet onion, when I noticed something. There were little white worms crawling all around the counter top. It takes me a while to grab them all up with a paper towel and wash them down the drain, and move everything and clean everything. Apparently, my plant was infested. With maggots.

I told the kids they could vote for how much they liked the fritata, and I would (or would not) include it as a part of our regular menu. Declan gobbled his up and then said "Don't make that again mom." The rest of the kids gave it a thumbs down, except for Devin, who loved it. Then she threw up 20 minutes later. Adios, Wild West Fritata. You will not be making another appearance at our house. And hopefully the maggots won't either. Euw! Euw! Euw! They can go, and take their lice friends with them.

I fully expect a cloud of locusts tomorrow. Riding in on a vidalia onion.

2 comments:

Dragons52 said...

Well at least you got your kids to try it. Mine sometimes wouldn't even try what I fixed!
And definitely euw! on the maggots!!!

Patty said...

OMG, I've never heard of maggots infesting a plant. That sucker would be in the trash for sure, possibly I would burn it if I could.

Well sounds like most families, the old standby for breakfast is always the best. If you want to try something different, make mac and cheese or spaghetti, something they would normally eat for lunch, serve for breakfast. When our kids were small, one didn't like any kind of breakfast items, so I fed her things like spaghetti o's, soup, things the other kids thought were strange for breakfast, but I said, hey at least she's eating something. She loved Knorr's creamed of leak soup. Hang in there Mom. Serve them cake for breakfast, that's the same as having a big jelly doughnut.

Our 9 year old granddaughter loves toast, spread while warm, with peanut butter. She also likes boiled eggs, minus the yolk. But loves for me to serve her warmed up Kraft mac and cheese.