Thursday, November 20, 2008

My kids have plain-Jane pallets.  We usually end up with something baked and something steamed for dinner each night.  Not a lot of seasoning, no pepper, sauces on the side, no processing... etc.  Casseroles are strictly verbotten (The horror! All that food mixed together!)

When I give them salad it is usually very basic stuff.  Tonight I had a take-out salad from Panera.  I was hurrying because I wanted to go to a parenting workshop at the school and I didn't have time to sort through the salad before dishing it out.  Oh well, I decided. They'll just have to figure it out.  I have about 7 or 8 loads of laundry on my kitchen table tonight (procrastination is a bad thing...) so I had the kids all lined up in a row at the island eating.  I am turned the other way, washing something in the sink.  My son asks me, "how long do we have to leave them there?"  I am totally baffled by this and need clarification.  I turn around to ask some follow-up questions and see all four of my older kids with their heads tilted back and the cucumber slices from their salads over their eyes!   I told them to ask their father because he was in charge, and I left.  Unfortunately, they didn't cover 'what to do when your children think their dinner is a spa treatment' at the parenting workshop.

Here they are at Christmas, 2004 (ages 2.5 and 5.5)


5 comments:

Rottlady of the Ozarks said...

Hahaha too funny, too bad you didn't get a picture of that. You have some cute kids!

Jack and Joann said...

Those are cute kids. But you should see Mommy. She is the real looker in the family!

Patty said...

I am still laughing. Yes, it's a shame you weren't able to snap a photo to go along with the story. I would imagine you don't have a dull moment at your house.

In fact my husband heard me chuckling and asked what are you laughing at, so I read the story to him and he got a chuckle also. Thanks for sharing.

Dragons52 said...

Now that makes total sense to me. It is after all what you see on TV....what else would you do with cucumbers at their age!!

Wanda said...

You have very clever children.


Still laughing..... wish you did have a photo...