Tuesday, September 30, 2008

And another story

And this is my favorite story about Joann...


I met Joann many years ago in our neighborhood book club (about 7 years, actually!)  Each month we take turns hosting the group.  The first time it was my turn I was very nervous.  I mean REALLY nervous!  I went through all the preparations and the big night finally came.  As I was rearranging some furniture to make more seating in our TV room my oldest kids (who were ONLY kids at the time, and about 2 years old) thought that the couch looked really cool pulled out from the wall.  They decided that they were going to turn it into a stage for a puppet show, and wouldn't mommy's book club love it?  As the guests arrived I kept shooing them out of the room.  At that time, I was the only member with children so young, and I figured it wouldn't make a great impression to have them running amok during our meeting.  So every time they tried to sneak in I shooed them out, embarrassed.   We ate, we had some wine, we discussed the book.  As we were all getting ready to leave, Joann says, "Hold it! I've been waiting all night for the puppet show.  Let's see that puppet show before we go anywhere."  Folded her hands in her lap and smiled at me.  I've loved you ever since Joann!  Baby Jack got lucky with his choice for grandparents :)  And I survived my first night hosting the book club.  It wasn't until my second turn hosting that I exploded the wine! And my fourth time hosting I ate almost an entire key lime pie that was left over, got sick, and figured I'd given everyone food poisoning!  And most recently, my son (same kid - now 9) decided that it as too hot in our house, and kindly adjusted our thermostat down to about 57.  Everyone had icicles hanging off themselves before I figured it out.   But I know now that these flaws are overlooked by dear friends.  And the red wine doesn't hurt either!


3 comments:

Dragons52 said...

Now that story I love, and not just because I have lived that when my kids were young but because I can just see Joann doing exactly that! I can actually hear her too...you paint a great picture there! We need more puppet shows at bookclub!!

Jack and Joann said...

Oh, my goodness, I had completely put that out of my mind but it slowly is returning with your retelling of the tale. Yes, I think I am permanently stuck in primary grade mode though I will be eligable for Medicare soon!

Anonymous said...

Really a neat post and easy read. Thanks for the visits to my blog too.